Flex Trends around the world…

September 4, 2007

A very special thanks to Mike Potter for bringing this to my notice. It is really exciting to see the trends analysis of adobe flex on Google Trends. Take a look…

Its really thrilling to see not only that India is on the top of the trends list, but also that Bangalore and Chennai tops the list of cities where the “flex” trend is really catching on… Wow, I didn’t know that Flex was so big a rage in India 🙂

I understand that any trend graph almost always kind of follows the below pattern and the above results are more of a validation of where the different countries are on the trend-graph rather than on the adoption of the trend itself. As the below graph suggests (Disclaimer: the graph is an illustration of a personal opinion and not based on any statistics), the adoption is already at a much higher state in the US than in India. This in turn, puts India on the list of countries where the adoption is low, but the adoption rate is higher than that in the US.

Since this adoption rate, rather than the adoption itself is the basis of Google trends, it is to be understood that the popularity of Flex might be much higher in US than in India. But its still great to see that India is keen to hop on to the flex bandwagon…

Advertisements

Indic Transliterator in Flex… powered by Google Labs

September 4, 2007

I saw this post on Abdul’s blog today. Google Indic Transliterator is cool. I played around with it a bit and then it stemmed a desire to do something similar in Flex. Thanks to the pointer by Abdul, I was able to achieve this.

Abdul, in his post talks of an URL (click on the link to see an example of what I’m talking about) which you can hit with your text through GET parameters and get it transliterated. The result, if tweaked a bit (i.e. removing unwanted characters including some escape characters) would yield a JSON.

Then I used the as3corelib to convert the JSON to an AS Object. I then embedded an Indic Font into my App and used it to render the text. The result is what you see below.

I’m not posting the code as of now because its still a very dirty 🙂 And also, the API is undocumented and may break soon. But I guess this should be pretty straight forward for anyone who wants to try this out…